Beginners Guide to Microgreens
One of the newest in the world of healthy eating today, is the consumption of microgreens. Have you seen these miniature like greens and wondered what they are? Read ahead to get in touch with basics of microgreens along with tips to use them.
What are microgreens, actually?
Microgreens are young vegetable greens that are approximately 1–3 inches (2.5–7.5 cm) tall. They are usually harvested 7–21 days after germination, once the plant’s first true leaves have emerged.
A microgreen has a single central stem, which is cut just above the soil during harvesting.
Its leaves and the stem are considered edible. They have an aromatic flavour and concentrated nutrient content and come in a variety of colours and textures. Their taste can vary depending on the variety.
Why do people opt to eat these young greens ?
- Microgreens may appear mini, but do pack a nutritional punch. They are considered nutrient-dense foods.
- A study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry showed much higher presence of nutrients in microgreens as compared to mature greens.
- Research also shows that they contain a wider variety of polyphenols and other antioxidants than their mature counterparts.
- Microgreens deliver a concentrated dose of nutrients and beneficial plant compounds. As a result, they may reduce the risk of various diseases like heart disease, diabetes.
- Some are rich in nutrients that are important for skin and eye health as well.
Possible explanation for them being nutrient-dense could be :
“Because microgreens are harvested right after germination, all the nutrients they need to grow are there,” says researcher Qin Wang, PhD, assistant professor at the University of Maryland.
Wondering how to use them? Here are some tips..
For LIVE PLANTS
- Keep indoors in a dry clean area.
- Sprinkle a handful of water daily.
- For harvesting cut just above the coco-peat, wash & use.
- Make sure to consume within 2-3 days of receiving.
For already HARVESTED GREENS
- Refrigerate immediately on receiving.
- Wash and consume within 2-3 days.
Microgreens are extremely versatile, and can be used in just about any way you would like.
Add in Salad, Soups, Omelette, Pasta, Sandwiches, Daal, Roti, in your Dosa batter....or Eat as it is. Do share your creations with us, we'd love to
Looking to get your weekly dose of Microgreens? - Click Here
Sources: Healthline, WebMD