Milk Cake (Ghee residue/khurchan) Recipe
- Posted By: Kaveri Sahay Prasad
- Category: Dessert
- Level: Easy
- Cooking Time: 15-20 min
- Serves: 6-7 pieces
- Views: 2084
About Recipe:Milk Cake made of the Residue / khurchan which we collect when we prepare ghee at home
- Residue / khurchan which we collect when we prepare ghee at home - ⅔ cup
- Sugar - a little under ½ cup or as per preference.
- Cardamom powder- ¾ tsp
- Desiccated coconut - 3 tbsp or so.
- Prep up -
- The residue itself holds some ghee . So , to the residue add ½ cup of boiling water.
- Mix well.
- Now strain this liquid through a sieve. Gently press the residue to release excessive moisture.
- Now the residue can be used for making the milk cake.
- Tip - The hot water helps in extracting ghee which was resting in this porous absorbent residue.
- Reserve this water and add it to any daal, rice or subzi you prepare.
- You can even knead aata with it.
- The Milk cake -
- Use the same kadahi which u used for preparing the ghee.
- Add the residue to the kadahi and gently cook on low heat for 3-4 min or until the ghee in it gives it a hint of glaze.
- Add the sugar.
- Continue to cut and fold on medium heat until the sugar melts and coats the residue evenly.
- Cook this way until you feel the sugar is leaving a hint of opaque strings when you cut and fold.
- Add the cardamom powder and the desiccated coconut .
- Mix well and cook for another 2/3 min on low heat - by this time you may feel the mix is binding well with itself.
- Spread this mixture onto a greased plate. You can garnish with nuts or desiccated coconut.
- Allow it to cool and slice it into desired shapes.
- The milk cakes are ready.
- This quantity makes 6-7 cakes of a small size ( 3 cm by 3cm ).