For Diwali, we make lots of Sweets and Snacks and most of the sweets are made of sugar. This okkarai is mainly made with Kadala Paruppu (Split Bengal Gram) and jaggery.
Okkarai is a traditional South Indian dish made especially during Diwali. The aroma of Okkarai wafting through the entire house is part of Diwali mood and memories.
- Channa dal(1 Cup)
- Jaggery ( equal to paste )
- Ghee (3 Tbsp)
- Cashew (9-10)
- Coconut ( 2Tbsp )
- Take one cup Channa dal.Roast on medium heat till it becomes lightly darker, and releases aroma.
- ▫️Soak this in hot water for about 3 hours till it becomes soft
- ▫️Grind this into a smooth paste adding not too much water
- ▫️Measure this paste take equal measure of jaggery.Take a kadai melt jaggery adding very little water(about quarter cup)
- ▫️Add the Channa dal paste.Keep stirring and cooking
- ▫️The mixture will start thickening. Keep stirring till it dries out reasonably and reaches a consistency where it is dried out but still soft resembling beach sand
- ▫️Add cashew nuts fried in ghee. Also add coconut cut into small pieces and fried in ghee.