Anybody who appreciates the art of baking understands the importance of food ingredients and technique. You can go one way by doing all in “one bowl” or take the time to love and appreciate the magic behind it. The good folks at @healthybuddhaorganic sent me a bar of baking chocolate and to my pleasant surprise i found that it is no ordinary baking chocolate. This bold and hearty 65% utility chocolate, made exclusively from South Indian organically certified cacao beans, brings character and flavour to your hot chocolates, cakes, biscuits and granola bars. This cacao mass couverture is great for baking and melting into a chocolate drink. It is made from the organic cacao beans (both nib and husk) 65% and organic sugar 35% and is ground for 2-3 days.
If you love baking and appreciate couverture chocolate then I urge you to give this a shot. ——
Now for the recipe for my Sachertorte. This cake uses dark chocolate and apricot jam topped with dark chocolate ganache! So perfect!
- 150 gms - baking chocolate
- 150 gms - butter ( room temperature)
- 110 gms - caster sugar
- 150 gms- flour (sifted)
- Vanilla essence - 1 tbsp
- Eggs - 3 (separated)
- Salt - one pinch
- Separated the yolks and whites - beat the egg whites to stiff peaks
- Heat water in a sauce pan and place a glass bowl over it.
- Add the chocolate and melt - make sure to take the bowl off the hot sauce pan just as you see it melting.
- If heated for a long time the chocolate will burn and lose its texture
- Once melted, cool to room temperature
- Then add the egg yolks, butter, sugar, salt and vanilla
- Pre heat your oven to 180
- Butter a cake pan and set aside
- Then slowly sift in the flour into the chocolate egg mixture
- Finally fold in the egg whites into the flour mixture
- Make sure to only fold and not over mix the bowl
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 30mins
- Once done let it rest for 15 mins and then flip it over
- Once the cake is cooled, top with apricot jam
- For the ganache, melt 150 gms of chocolate the same way as mentioned above.
- Then add an equal amount of cream.
- Mix and pour over the cake