Fruits & Vegetables
- Daily Staples
- Snacks & More
- Bakery & Dairy
Oopss, are you sure you want to move away from this page... You were in the middle of editing an existing order, and may want to complete the transaction by hitting the checkout buttonMove awayContinue Shopping
Wondering why onion prices suddenly shoot up sometimes? click here for an answer
Onions belong to the Allium family of plants, which also includes chives, garlic, and leeks. These vegetables have characteristic pungent flavors and some medicinal properties.The taste of these vegetables can range from sweet and juicy to sharp, spicy, and pungent, often depending on the season in which people grow and consume them.
Uses: Including onion in a dish is a great way to boost the flavor without adding calories, fat, or. Onions are a staple in many kitchens and complement most dishes. People can use raw chopped onion in a sandwich filling or as a salad topping. This vegetable also makes a tasty addition to salsas and dips. They also taste great when people sautee, roast, grill, or caramelize them.
WHY DOES ONION MAKE YOU CRY? Onions have a reputation for making people cry during the cutting or chopping process. This response occurs due to called syn-Propanethial-S-oxide.This chemical is a compound liquid that acts as a lachrymatory agent, meaning that it causes tears or stings the eyes.
To reduce tears during chopping, the National Onion Association recommend chilling an onion forthen cutting off its top. The person should then peel the outer layer of the onion and leave the root intact, as this part has the highest concentration of lachrymatory agents.
You may also like
- Onions are a nutrient-dense food, meaning that they are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants while being low in .
- As a good source of vitamin C, helps build immunity.
- support the building and maintenance of . Collagen provides structure to skin and hair.
- researched to reduce risk of stomach and colorectal cancers.
- presence of antioxidants most importantly Quercetin that helps lower bad cholesterol.
- sulphur is known to have blood thinning effect, preventing clot formations.
- Daily Staples