Strawberry Lemon Cake Recipe
- Posted By: Jade Devenish
- Category: Dessert
- Level: Medium
- Cooking Time: 50 min
- Serves: 10-12 slices
- Views: 1330
About Recipe:This may well be the fastest and easiest cake recipe you'll make this year. Yogurt keeps the crumb beatifully tender and moist, and it keeps perfectly for days. Resist the temptation to load it up with more than 1 cup chopped strawberries inside the cake - strawberries are really juicy which leeches into the batter, exponentially increasing bake time + can make the crumb too wet. Lovely served at room temperature with cream, or warm with ice cream (I love it both ways!). Recipe adapted from recipetineats
- 500g / 1 lb strawberries , hulled (ie tops removed)
- 1 cup sugar , caster/superfine best but granulated ok too
- 1/2 cup oil , canola or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs , large (~50g/1.75 oz each)
- 1 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (1 large lemon)
- 1 cup plain yoghurt , unsweetened (Greek or just plain)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or essence)
- 2 1/4 cups flour , plain/all purpose
- 4 tsp baking powder (or 1 1/4 tsp baking soda)
- Pinch of salt
- Whipped cream
- Extra strawberries
- Icing sugar/ powdered sugar ( for dusting)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/390°F (180°C fan).
- Grease and line a 23 cm / 9" cake pan with baking paper/parchment paper. (Any type of cake pan is fine)
- For inside of cake: Dice some strawberries into ~1.5cm / 1" pieces to make 1 cup (about 1/3 of the strawberries)
- Topping: Cut the remaining strawberries in half.
- Place Wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk well for 1 minute.
- Add Dry ingredients then whisk well until lump free.
- Pour half into cake pan, smooth surface. Scatter over diced strawberries.
- Top with remaining batter. Smooth surface, then top with halved strawberries, cut face down.
- Bake 50 minutes or until skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. (Note 1) If you need to cook longer, cover with foil if it starts getting too golden.
- Stand 15 minutes in the cake pan before turning out onto cooling rack.
- Cool 15 minutes+ before serving warm or at room temp. Dust with icing sugar, and serve with cream or if serving warm, ice cream!