Tomarillo (Tree Tomato) Chutney Recipe
- Posted By: Monika Manchanda
- Category: Other
- Level: Easy
- Cooking Time: 40 min
- Serves: 2
- Views: 3583
About Recipe:Tree Tomato or Tamarillo is a juicy, sweet & sour oval shaped fruit. I first encountered it a few years ago in my trip to Sikkim and have been looking for them ever since. Success has been very less though, that is until recently when I spotted them at @healthybuddhaorganic and since that time they are a regular at home. The fruit is supposed to be native to Andes range of South America but is grown throughout the world now. South Africa, Australia, Bhutan, New Zealand and Darjeeling & Sikkim in India in particular. I use it to make Jam, as a slight souring agent in dals & fish curries but my favourite way to eat it hands down is this Chutney/dip. Adapted from the recipe a friend gave me long ago to suit our palate. It is brilliant with rice, paranthas or crackers.
- 250 gm tree tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sugar
- 8-10 raisins
- 1 tsp mustard oil
- Salt to taste
- Roast the tree tomatoes on direct fire like you roast brinjal for bharta
- Cool, remove the blackened peel and mash the insides
- Add chopped onions, green chillies, salt, raisins and raw mustard oil.
- Let it stand for 20-30 mins to blend flavours.