Borlotti Bean Fry Recipe
- Posted By: Monika Manchanda
- Category: Other
- Level: Easy
- Cooking Time: 10 min
- Serves: 2
- Views: 1178
About Recipe:Seasonal Food is my jam, the ingredients that come for a short time get me excited. I want to source them, cook with them in various ways. And these Borlotti Beans at Healthy Buddha made me so excited. These beans are cousins of Butter Beans in texture and creaminess but are splashed with streaks of red/pink which makes them so gorgeous. These are also knowns as Roman bean, saluggia bean or rosecoco bean. My grandma used to call this Thool Rajma I think (though these are not Rajma/Kidney Beans), I learnt by a DM today that Thool Rajma is Jammu/Kashmiri name where Thool means egg. I cooked it in Andhra Style Fry last week as a part of our Pongal lunch.
- 200gms peeled beans
- 4-5 shallots
- Curry Leaves
- 3 dry red chillies
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp jeera seeds
- 1tbsp channa & urad dal each
- 1 tbsp ghee/oil
- Salt & Chilli powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp heeng
- 1 tbsp roasted channa dal powder (we do use this a lot in Andhra cuisine)
- 1/2 tsp roasted sesame seeds for topping
- Boil the beans with little water for 4-5 minutes in a cooker. Can also steam for 10 mins
- Heat oil/ghee add mustard, jeera, curry leaves, dry red chillies. Sautee and add heeng
- Add shallots, fry. Add dry spices.
- Add boiled/steamed beans. Fry till water is almost evaporated.
- Add roasted channa dal powder. Cook for 2-3mins.
- Serve hot topped with sesame seeds.