A sea of swirling green, with surprising spoonfuls of soft feta and a nutty crunch of toasted almonds. Here’s my spinach soup - made with an easy vegetable stock! This vegetable soup stock doesnt need too many veggies to get a nice rich stocky flavour.
You can use the veg stock as a base for so many things: dal, sambar, curries that are both meat and plant based. Play around as you see fit :)
- quarter cup of minced garlic
- 2-3 diced carrots
- onions quartered
- 1 large broccoli
- 5-6 small pieces of ginger
- 5-6 cloves of smoked garlic
- olive oil - as needed for blending
- evoo - for garnish
- 1 bunch spinach
- dash of dry ginger powder
- dash of pepper powder
- feta cheese/ fresh panner crumbled - for garnish
- toasted almonds / pistachios - for garnish
- rosemary/herbs of you choice - for garnish
- salt - as needed
- Add quarter cup of minced garlic into a bit of oil in the pressure cooker.
- Once that has browned, add in 2-3 diced carrots and 2 onions quartered. ( keep the skin on).
- Add stems, leaves and base of a big sized broccoli.
- Add ginger with/ without peel- I prefer to keep skin on to extract maximum flavour.
- Also add broccoli florets themselves. If you dont have broccoli you could use cauliflower.
- But make sure to use at least one of these.
- Next my personal favourite, a touch of smoked garlic. ( since this is a vegetable stock, you want to create as maximum flavour as possible. So adding extra aromatics will not do wrong )
- tip: you can also experiment and make this soup using kitchen scraps- peeled skins, stems of cauliflowers etc.
- Add hot water ( I added 2 litres. You can add in as much as your cooker can take in - the result will be the same ).
- No seasoning required at this stage. Let that pressure cook for at least 5-6 whistles.
- I made one serving of soup, so I boiled one bunch of spinach leaves for 4 minutes.
- Once boiled - drain, run under cold water, squeeze out the extra water and add to a blender with garlic, ginger and a bit of salt.
- Also add in a bit of olive oil. For flavour and for this to blend properly into a smooth paste. Add maybe 2-4 tbsps of water too but not more.
- Blitz away, create your green monster and take over the world ;)
- Check the vegetable stock after 5-6 whistles. Be sure to discard as much of the veg as you can. You could drain it get it super neat. I didnt. Add in as much as you like.
- Add you green monster from the blender to the stock base.
- Now comes the seasoning, I used regular salt, a dash of dried ginger and pepper powder.
- Bring it to a slow boil and its done. Pour into a bowl drizzle some evoo, crumble some feta, or even fresh panner.
- Add slivers of toasted almonds or even pistachios - whichever you like, make sure it is toasted.
- Finish with a light garnish of your favourite herbs - I used a bit of Rosemary from my balcony garden.
- Finish it finally with some cracked pepper and you have a beauty.