Panki are nothing but gujrati pancakes or chillas, cooked between banana leaves. Cooking with this method imports a sweet flavor into the pancake. The resulting panki is very soft, almost like a Khandvi. You can use turmeric leaves as well or just use this batter as a chilla.
- 2 tbsp sprouts (I used green gram)
- 2 tbsp oats
- 2 tbsp peas
- 2 tbsp besan or gram flour
- 1 tsp ginger garlic green chilli paste
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of asafoetida
- Grind all the above ingredients with water into a pouring consistency.
- None of the ingredients should be roasted or boiled.
- Cut squares or rounds of turmeric/banana leaf.
- Spread the batter into thick rounds onto 1 leaf and cover with another.
- Place this on a hot pan and cook on both sides until brown spots appear.
- Serve with any chutney of your choice - bottle gourd peel, ridge gourd peel / moringa.