It was sheer joy cooking with the turmeric leaves I was able to source from @healthybuddhaorganic ! The flavour that the leaves impart into the cottage cheese is absolutely DIVINE.
For me cooking was never a chore. It’s a place where I lose myself and find more of me. I managed to get some turmeric leaves and I had no idea what to do with it. I had initially decided to make sweet rice pancakes. But when I realised I had a big slab of paneer ( cottage cheese ) at home, I decided to make something savoury. I have seen paneer being cooked like fish in banana leaves. I found the turmeric leaves apt for my experiment. And it worked ! And how. The flavour that these leaves impart to the paneer along with the aroma that engulfs the house is beautiful. It’s not a difficult dish to make but like everything else in life, it requires patience and handling it gently.
- Panner - 200 gm
- Hung Curd - 3 tbsp
- Coriander powder - 1 tsp
- Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala - 1 tsp
- Grated Ginger - 1 inch
- Lemon juice - 1/4 tsp
- Carrom Seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Chat masala - 1/2 tsp
- Mustard Oil - as needed
- For Saute & Filling
- Shallots - 100 gm
- Tomato - 1 big
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
- Coriander powder - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric leaves- 4-5 numbers
- Cut the panner slab into 4 equal parts ( 1 inch thickness each )
- Mix hung curd, coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, garam masala.
- Add grated ginger and a tbsp of mustard oil.
- Add lemon juice, carrom seeds and chat masala- mix well
- Coat the panner cubes well with marinade - refrigerate for 2 hours
- In a pan, Add oil and saute shallots.
- Add coriander seed powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and saute.
- Then add bite sized chopped tomato and saute. ( cook until tomatoes are soft but not mushy ).
- Clean the turmeric leaves well wipe them dry.
- Place the marinated panner on top of the leaf, take a spoonful of onion and tomato mixture on the panner.
- Fold the tumeric leaf from top first, then roll the leaf and cover the panner piece from all sides.
- Tie across and secure it with a thin piece of turmeric leaf as a thread.
- Take mustard oil in a pan. Place the the turmeric leaf parcels and shallow fry them.
- Cook them on flame for about 10-15 mins ( check them every 5 minutes ).
- Cook on both sides.
- Enjoy the wonderful aromatic cottage cheese