A popular Indian dessert made with sugar. For a healthier version, I replaced sugar with jaggery. Carrot halwa is cooked in almost every kitchen in the winter season.
We get red juicy carrots which come only in winter season. Carrot pudding is easy to make and such a delicious and lip-smacking dessert.I am sharing carrot halwa with jaggery. It is as tasty as the normal sugar one.
Recipe by Bhawana (code2cook.com)
- 4 Cup tightly packed grated carrots
- 4 Cup milk
- 1 Cup jaggery
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- Handful chopped nut like cashew, almond, pista
- 1 Tsp cardamom powder
- First of all, clean, peel and rinse carrots. Grate them using a food processor or box grater.
- Take a nonstick pan and heat on medium flame.
- To this add ghee and grated carrots. Cook them for 3-4 minutes.
- After 3-4 minutes add milk and cook on high flame. It takes around 12-14 minutes. Stir occasionally otherwise it will burn from the bottom.
- After 12 minutes low the flame and add cardamom powder, nuts, jaggery powder. Mix well. It will again turn watery as the jaggery melts. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium flame.
- Keep stirring at this stage till halwa becomes dry. Switch off the flame as soon as you get the required dry consistency.
- Carrot halwa with jaggery is ready to serve.
- Wash carrots carefully. Sometimes a lot of dirt stuck inside its skin and comes in mouth while eating.
- Keep stirring or else halwa will burn from the bottom of the pan.
- Adjust jaggery as per your taste. In this quantity, I loved this much jaggery. You can add more if you like a sweeter version.
- This gajar ka halwa recipe can be easily increased as per the requirement.
- Halwa stays good for 3-4 days if kept in the fridge.