Kashaya made out of Amruthaballi, a herb with myriad of potential medicinal qualities. Highly valued in Ayurveda for its detoxifying, rejuvenating, immune-boosting, and anti-rheumatic properties. I was introduced to this by my mother, who takes keen interest in Gardening.
This kashaya includes many beneficial ingredients that help in overall better health.
Recipe by Smitha Ravi (thekaravaliwok.com)
- 3 to 4 pieces of Amruthaballi stems fresh or dried
- 2 doddapatre leaves (ajwain leaves)
- 5 to 6 tulsi leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 5 to 6 black pepper corns
- 1 garlic clove
- A small piece of fresh turmeric
- Heat 2 cups of water.
- Crush pepper and cumin seeds in a mortar pestle. Add it to the water.
- Add the amruthaballi stems, tulsi leaves and doddapatre leaves to the water.
- Crush the garlic pod and turmeric and add them too.
- Let the concoction come to a boil. Lower the flame and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Strain the Kashaya and pour them into small glasses.
- Consume it while still warm.