Fried Green Tomato
- Posted By: Healthy Buddha
- Category: Other
- Level: Easy
- Cooking Time: 35 min
- Serves: 5
- Views: 1882
About Recipe:A delicious classic healthy snacks recipe, best had outdoors in the company of friends. Recipe by Karen Rankin.
- Vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- 4 medium-size green tomatoes (about 7 ounces each)
- 1 cup (about 4 1/2 ounces) cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups fine yellow cornmeal (about 11 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Sea salt
- Note : 1tsp Table salt = 11/4tsp kosher salt
- Pour oil to a depth of 1/2 inch into a large cast-iron skillet. Heat oil over medium-high to 325°F. (Closely watch the temperature, adjusting heat as necessary).
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices. (You should get 4 to 5 slices per tomato.) Place cornstarch in a wide, shallow dish.
- In a second wide, shallow dish, whisk together eggs, buttermilk, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. In a third wide, shallow dish, stir together cornmeal, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt.
- Working in batches, dredge tomato slices in cornstarch, shaking off excess; dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture, patting cornmeal coating onto slices. Place breaded slices on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
- Working in batches, fry tomato slices (about 3 to 5 slices at a time) until golden brown and crispy, 3 to 4 minutes, flipping halfway through frying. Place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels, and sprinkle with sea salt.